In his guide Promenades au musée de Saint-Germain, published in 1869, Gabriel de Mortillet described all the rooms open to the public. The first three rooms on the first floor of the musée gallo-romain were dedicated to prehistory. The author paid particular attention to these rooms. On display here were a variety of objects including original artefacts (collections of flint from Boucher de Perthes and Édouard Lartet), evidence of fauna (Megaloceros), numerous casts (Neanderthal skull) and maps produced by the Commission de Topographie des Gaules. The fourth room was the study room, home to the library and archives.

MAN ©MAN/Valorie Gô