Louis Revon

Louis Revon was a member of the Académie des sciences, belles-lettres et arts de Savoie and the Académie florimontane in Annecy, a corresponding member of the CTHS and a correspondent of the Commission de Topographie des Gaules (CTG).

© MAN

Louis Revon was a member of the Académie des sciences, belles-lettres et arts de Savoie and the Académie florimontane in Annecy; a corresponding member of the CTHS; a correspondent of the Commission de Topographie des Gaules (CTG), and curator of the musée d'Annecy.

Passionate about Savoie and the Dauphiné

Louis Revon joined the musée d'Annecy as its curator in 1860. For 31 years, he built its collections of paintings, casts, sculptures, inscriptions and industrial products, including much ethnographical, anatomical and anthropological evidence.

With a keen interest in epigraphy, in 1870, he published Inscriptions antiques de la Haute-Savoie, followed, in 1878, by La Haute-Savoie avant les Romains.

He provided the CTG with a large number of watercolours illustrating archaeological objects discovered or conserved in his region. When they arrived at the musée gallo-romain, these watercolours were collected together in two albums.

Revon was in regular correspondence with Alexandre Bertrand, secretary of the CTG and director of the musée gallo-romain, evidence of his continuing contribution to the CTG’s work.