The standard measures at the entry of the abbey church, drawn by Philippe Buache circa 1740.
© BNF / Cabinet des Estampes
For all transactions, merchants were required to use units of capacity, length and weight specific to Saint-Denis. The abbey held the standard measures; the Cochet or "griffon's claw", the unit measure for wine sold in the town's taverns was kept in the treasury, and at the entrance to the basilica there was a table with five recipients for measuring quantities of grain, salt and woad, as well as a unit of measurement set in the wall. The large and small weights were kept in the covered markets.