- To go further…
- The Cluny Museum
From left to right, Venus, Vulcan and Mars. Reused in a Late Roman wall on the Île de la Cité.
Engraving by J.-B. Jollois, 1843.
The frigidarium of the baths.
In the background, the blocks of the Boatmen's Pillar resting on stacks of tile.
Photo: © J.-P. Adam.
Prior to the establishment of the Carnavalet Museum -the museum of the history of Paris-the Museum of the Middle Ages and the Cluny Baths was the logical place to store a great many high-quality archaeological stone blocks. These include a pillar showing three divinities, discovered in the 19th century in reuse on the site of the Hôtel-Dieu public assistance hospital, as well as the famous Boatmen's Pillar, discovered beneath Notre Dame.
For chronological reasons, the classical collections are presented in the former frigidarium of the baths; the rest of the museum is given over to medieval collections.
Musée national du Moyen Âge
Thermes et hôtel de Cluny
6, place Paul Painlevé