Four boys unexpectedly found themselves part of history when, on 12 September 1940, they discovered the Lascaux cave. They were Marcel Ravidat, a 17-year-old apprentice mechanic from Montignac, Georges Agniel, 16, from Nogent-sur-Seine, who was on vacation at his grandmother's house, Simon Coencas, 15, originally from Montreuil but taking refuge in Montignac, and Jacques Marsal, 15, from Montignac. For Georges Agniel and Simon Coencas the adventure came to an abrupt end two days later, when they were swept up into historical circumstances of a much more tragic nature: Simon and his family were deported to Buchenwald. Ravidat and Marsal stood guard outside the entrance to the cave during the winter of 1940-41. They became guides once the cave was opened to visitors in 1948, and they were the ones who pointed out the appearance of the green algae in 1958 and 1959. Jacques Marsal became guardian of the cave when it was closed in 1963. The four friends were only reunited 46 years later, in November 1986.
SOCIÉTÉ HISTORIQUE ET ARCHÉOLOGIQUE DU PÉRIGORD. – Le Livre du Jubilé de Lascaux (1940-1990), Périgueux, Société historique et archéologique du Périgord, 1990, 155 p., ill. [supplément au t. 117 du Bulletin de la SHAP]